Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What are the current codes in use?
The 2009 International Residential Code, 2009 International Building Code, 2009 International Plumbing Code, 2009 International Mechanical Code, 2008 National Electrical Code, 2009 International Fuel Gas Code, and the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code

What wind speed, ground snow load, and seismic category does the city use?
Please read the Summary of Climatic and Geographic Design Criteria.

Does the City offer Expedited Permitting Services?
Not at this time.

What year Rescheck or Commcheck is required?
Year 2009 to the present year will be accepted. Envelope, lighting and mechanical must be the same year.

How long does it take to get a permit?
Review time for commercial and residential building permits is a function of work volume and varies accordingly. Contact the plan reviewer for a progress report. Generic permits only take a matter of a few minutes.

When does my permit expire?
Permits expire 180 days after the previous inspection.

As a homeowner, can I obtain permits to do work on my own home?
Yes, if you are the homeowner, live in the home, and it is considered your homestead. You or an immediate family member must perform the work. You will be able to obtain structural, plumbing, and mechanical permits. Electrical permits must be obtained by a licensed electrical contractor/master electrician. If you do not live in the home, you can still obtain a structural permit to do the work yourself. However, all other permits (plumbing, mechanical, electrical) must be taken out by licensed subcontractors.

How do I report an accessibility complaint (ADA or TAS)?
The City of Lubbock does not enforce laws pertaining to the accessibility of buildings, programs and services to physically impaired persons; however, concerned or aggrieved persons have the ability to make their concerns known to the applicable agency, as follows:

Where construction is involved:
Contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, Architectural Barriers Division, at (800) 803-9202 (Voice), or (800) 735-2989 (TDD), or you may file a complaint on-line at, and choose the “Architectural Barriers” option.

Where construction is not involved, or it is unknown whether construction was/is involved:
The webpage at will allow you to determine the appropriate Federal Agency to contact, based on the type of program or building encountered. If unknown, you may contact the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, at (800) 514-0301 (voice) or (800) 514-0383 (TTY). You may also write to:

U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Disability Rights Section, NYAV
Washington, D.C. 20530